Monday, June 28, 2010

3-D Mania

I recently saw the 3D movie, Toy Story 3. Overall, the movie was pretty good and I recommend it, but I thought some parts were a little intense for a kids movie. Anyway, this got me thinking about 3D and how far it has come in the recent years. Do you remember the old school 3D glasses that had one blue lens and one red lens? Yep, those were the days. I used to think that those disposable paper "glasses" were the coolest things when they made a picture appear as though it was right in front you like you could touch it (or to put it scientifically, it enhances the illusion of depth perception). Innovation has definitely taken hold of those glasses. Now the glasses that you buy at the theater look like something the Blues Brothers might wear.

Believe it or not (as Ripley would say), 3D films have actually existed in some form since 1890. The reason it has taken so long for 3D films to come to a theater near you is because the technology wasn't all there yet and processes involved to produce and display a 3D film were very expensive. There were actually several 3D films during the 1950's. Then in the 1980's-90's, IMAX theaters and Disney themed venues brought 3D back to life. I specifically remember going to Disney World when I was young and seeing the Muppets and Honey I Shrunk the Audience in 3D. Those were the first 3D moving animation I had ever experienced and they obviously left an impression on me.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like almost every children's movie is in 3D these days. I agree that 3D is very cool, but overall I do not know if 3D is worth the price. Movie prices are already going up all the time and now you HAVE to pay for the 3D glasses also. I just request that it be required for theaters to offer a 2D version along with their 3D version. Then at least movie goers have the option. When I first started paying for myself at the movies it cost $6.50 (on the weekend, at night) at our local theater for 1 adult. In present time at the same theater, to go see Toy Story 3 in 3D it costs $8.50 (on the weekend, at night) for 1 adult PLUS $3.50 for 3D glasses, which equals a total of $10 (and that's not including any snacks/drinks). Also keeping in mind that this is in a town with a population of only about 15,000. Therefore, 2D should be a required option for people at the movies. This way families can have a fun experience without having to take out another mortgage just to get the experience.
I am very excited to see where 3D goes from here. Between the new Samsung 3D televisions (you know the one with Hey Soul Sister playing in the background) and the possibilities with 4D, I think the future holds some pretty cool stuff.

Just as a side note, I read that in late 2005 Steven Speilberg announced he was involved in patenting a 3D cinema system that does not need glasses (Now we're talking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment